Friday, June 18, 2010

A political neophyte jumps in...

I've done the community activist schtick, encouraged others to run for public office, and in one instance helped a friend get started on a run for office. But that's different from doing it yourself while holding down a job and running a one-man campaign. Even a campaign where you figure if you get enough donations to pay (or even help pay) the bills, it's a win.

Over the last few days I've rushed about, given a news interview, filled out (and continue to fill out) forms, found a possible online donation processor (Clickandpledge), and talked to the local GOP folks. To keep from being bored, I've knocked together a website, set up e-mail, and built this blog - and shortly will be firing up Facebook and Twitter campaign accounts.

And this while pulling down a full work week, updating the company website, and doing a bit of marketing here and there. And there's still plenty to do both at work and regarding the campaign.

If you're going to do this yourself, start at the top of the post, and read through. Before you jump in, go ahead and get together folks that won't just cough up cash - but will jump in and help out. I suspect I'm going to need to overcome my fundamental reticence about such matters and actually ask for that odd thing, help.

I don't regret it a bit, and look forward to the Primary and General elections. But I hadn't expected quite this level of rushing about! I suspect most first-time candidates, if you corner them someplace private, might share similar sentiments...

Best of Wishes,

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment